Children’s Room Policies
The Public Library of New London’s Children’s Room is a welcoming and accommodating space for children of all ages, parents, caregivers and teachers.
To ensure this we ask that you adhere to the following policies:
Children’s Room Policies:
- Appropriate behavior (respect for library patrons, property and staff) is expected by all children and adults in the library
- Disruptive behavior will warrant one warning; if the patron continues to be disruptive or act inappropriately (such as running, rough housing, screaming or swearing) then the patron will be asked to leave the library. If necessary, security and police assistance will be requested.
- As specified in Connecticut General Statute 53-21a children under the age of 12 may not be left unsupervised in the library.
- If a child under the age of 12 is left unattended a parent/guardian will be contacted, if a parent/guardian is unable to be contacted the police will be notified.
- No food or uncovered drinks may be consumed in the library.
- The Children’s Room bathroom is only to be used by children under the age of 14 and adults accompanied by a child.
- Library staff is not responsible for providing supervision and care of children, staff will not act in loco parentis.
Children’s Room Computer Policies:
- The Children’s Room computers are to be used by adults accompanied by a child or by children under the age of 14.
- Children must use and have with them a valid library card to use the computers.
- Guest passes will only be permitted if a child is working on homework and receives permission from library staff.
- Library staff may grant time extensions for homework only, otherwise children must log in again for additional time.
- No drinks or food of any sort should be near the computer stations.