Get a Teacher Card
Who is eligible for a Teacher Card?
- Elementary, middle or high school educators or child care providers who work in New London
- Student Teachers, for the specific months in which they are teaching
Home-school families are not eligible for a Teacher Card
What are the benefits of having a Teacher Card?
- Teacher cards allow you to keep your personal borrowing needs separate from the items you borrow for classroom use. You increase your borrowing power by having a secondary card for more items.
- Teacher can create “Classroom collections” and use their Teacher Card to track these materials more efficiently.
- While you remain financially responsible for the items on this card, keeping items separate can help if you seek reimbursement from your school for lost or damaged items.
- A Teacher Card cannot be used for personal or recreational adult materials. Individuals who apply for a Teacher Card must first register for a personal card at the individual’s home library.
- You remain personally responsible for the items on the card as well as the cost of lost or damaged items.
- Misuse of a Teacher Card will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
How to obtain a Teacher Card?
- Must apply in person
- A letter on institutional letterhead signed by the principal or director indicating your status as an employee for the current or upcoming school year or a recent pay-stub that includes your name, current address and school.
- Current photo ID and proof of address
- Personal library card from your home library
- Cards must be renewed annually.
- Cards expire July 1st of each year, or at the end of the student teacher’s assignment.
How do I use my Teacher Card?
- A Public Library of New London Teacher Card can only be used at the Public Library of New London.
- You may visit the library to pick out your books or you many request them online to be picked up at a later date.
- Teacher cards provides access to any of the databases available through the Public Library of New London, including iConn’s resources for students.
- No limit on how many materials you can borrow.
- Our full catalog of materials is available online. Or visit the library to familiarize yourself with services and materials available. The Mabel Barlett Children’s Room staff can offer you curriculum and material selection support.
How long may I keep items borrowed on a Teacher Card?
- Standard loan periods apply, based on material type. Books circulate for 28 days.
- Two renewals are allowed on most items unless the item has been marked non-renewable (e.g. DVDs), or on reserve for another patron.
- Items may be renewed
- In person
- On the phone by calling
- By using the My Account feature available at www.plnl.org
Are there fines or fees associated with a Teacher Card?
- There are no fines associated with a Teacher Card. However, there will be a replacement fee for damaged or lost materials.
How do I arrange to bring students to the library?
The Public Library of New London welcomes visits from you and your students. Please call at least one week in advance to schedule any class trip. Storytimes, introduction to the online catalog and database resources, guided tours, research assistance and a variety of other programs are available for your classes.
Please contact the Head of Children’s Services to schedule a visit at 860-447-1411 x4.
Please contact the Head of Circulation for student applications at 860-447-1411 x6.
Library cards are free to New London residents but require parent’s signatures. If you are planning a class visit and would like your students to receive their library cards during their visit, prior arrangements must be made.
Prior to your visit, you will be required to:
- Obtain applications for the students.
- Have a competed application for each student, signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Verify student information and signed application.
- Return completed applications to the library with a student roster that includes the child’s complete name, address and phone number.
Please Note: Library cards for students will not be processed the day of your visit.